Are You Driving Your Personal Car for Work Purposes?

Zipcar Toyota Prius parked in front of SF City Hall

The use of privately-owned automobiles for approved work is permissible provided it is done during the course of the employee’s scheduled hours of work and is used in accordance with the general parameters outlined below:

  • When an employee uses their own automobile, their private insurance is the primary source of insurance coverage for the automobile, even when driving the vehicle on University business.  Please note that motorcycles, scooters and bicycles are not acceptable for business use (please see policy BUS G-28). If an accident occurs and damages exceed an employee’s insurance limits, UC Automobile Liability coverage may or may not be available as excess insurance over the personal auto policy, depending on the circumstances of the accident.
  • The use of privately-owned automobiles during scheduled hours of work should be minimized and only used for purposes that cannot be accomplished by other transport means (e.g. delivery service, rental car, shuttle service, etc.).
  • Alternate means of transportation such as campus shuttle service or rental cars (e.g. Zipcar), should be considered as a viable means of transportation between campus sites.
  • In the event of an accident when using a privately-owned automobile for work purposes, a verbal and written report must be provided to the employee’s direct supervisor and Risk Management and Insurance Services (RMIS) within 24 hours of the accident.  The supervisor is required to notify the department director or his/her designee within 48 hours of the accident.

Employees who regularly use privately-owned automobiles on University business are required to show satisfactory evidence of liability insurance coverage (see below).

University of California Policy G-28
Policy and Regulations Governing Travel

Item VII C (d) Insurance Coverage

When private vehicles are used on University business, the appropriate campus officials are responsible for ensuring that employees have adequate liability insurance coverage.  The
minimum prescribed liability insurance coverage is as follows:
• $50,000 for personal injury to, or death of, one person; 
• $100,000 for injury to, or death of, two or more persons in one accident; and
• $50,000 for property damage.
An employee who regularly uses a private vehicle on University business is required to have and provide upon request satisfactory evidence of liability insurance coverage.  Such evidence must be provided to the appropriate office before the reimbursement of regular use mileage is allowed.  Regular use is defined as more than four trips per calendar month totaling at least 300 miles.
When a private vehicle operated by an employee on official University business is damaged by collision or sustains other accidental damage, the University may authorize reimbursement for repairs borne by the
employee may be authorized up to $500 or the amount of the deductible (co-insurance), whichever is less.  Expenses that can be recouped from the employee’s insurance coverage are not eligible for reimbursement.  The amount reimbursed shall be based on receipts submitted by the employee to the individual who authorized the travel.  The reimbursement may be charged to the department or to another appropriate account as designated by the Chancellor.

If you are involved in an accident, please contact UCPD immediately and report the incident. All incidents must be reported to Risk Management Insurance Services (RMIS) within 24 hours.